What support is available if I have experienced a hate crime?

 If you think you or someone you know has experienced a hate crime, there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  
For students and staff 
  • Togetherall is available 24/7 and provides a safe space to talk, share and support. It is monitored by trained professionals and contains self-assessments and resources and self-guided wellbeing courses. 

For students 
  • Your personal tutor will often be the first point of contact for practical advice or direction on academic and non-academic matters. 
  • Our Student Welfare Service can help in a number of ways.  A Welfare Advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence and support you through the process.  This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University.
  • The University's Counselling Service offers confidential help to students via our team of trained counsellors. 
  • Mitigating Circumstances.  The University’s Concessions, Academic Appeals and Reviews Student Guide provides an overview of what to do if your studies have been affected by what has happened.  Your Student Handbook also provides useful information. 
For staff 
  • ULaw's Human Resources and Learning & Development section of the Intranet provides details on how you can get support for any employment-related issues.  The site provides access to policies and procedures as well as information on wellbeing and mental health
  • Trade Union. The academic cohort of the University recognise the Unite union.  ULaw consults and negotiates with union representatives on a number of terms and conditions.  There is a number of union representatives across the campuses and you can find more information here
  • Employee Assistance Programme.  Through the EAP provided by Care first, you have access to an expert team to providing 24-hour personal assistance.  At any time, day or night, you can talk in confidence to a qualified adviser.  Staff can find more information here
Other sources of support

National and local support services 
  • Citizens Advice provides some useful information on the different types of harassment and hate crime people may experience including disability hate crime; racist and religious hate crime; sexual harassment; and sexual orientation and transgender identity hate crime. 
  • True Vision offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous, there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness. 
  • LGBT Foundation has a number of groups covering a wide section of the LGBT community. They provide a safe and comfortable environment for people who may feel isolated, are coming out, or are new to the area. 
  • Disability Equality NW runs the Developing from the Negatives Project (DFN) which aims to raise awareness of Disability Hate Crime and encourage reporting. 
  • Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents. 
  • Community Security Trust (CS) helps those who are victims of anti-Semitic hatred, harassment or bias. 
  • Victim Support. When you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask you if you would like help from an organisation like Victim Support. But anyone affected by crime can contact them directly  – you do not need to talk to the police to get Victim Support help. 

Points to consider 
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If the crime isn’t an emergency, call 101 or contact your local police. 
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe.
  • If you are on campus  and you are scared or fearful you can contact campus security. 
  • See information on ‘Looking after your safety’ above. 


  • Don’t try to carry worrying or distressing thoughts or experiences alone.   Talking to a trusted family member or friend can help identify options and get support.
  • Listen.  If someone has had a distressing experience just taking the time to listen to them and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you support them.  These are based on the Samaritans guidelines for active listening
  • Give options.  When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps. 
  • Our Welfare Service can help in a number of ways.  A Welfare Advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence and support you through the process.  This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University. 
  • The Samaritans can help with whatever difficult experience you're going through.  You can call them free any time, from any phone, on 116 123.  Or, you can email jo@samaritans.org.uk for a response within 24 hours.  Whatever you're going through, you can call free any time, from any phone, on 116 123. 

Mental Health and Wellbeing

1 in 4 people is affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm.

You can find more information about discrimination and mental health by clicking here.

Self-care if experiencing poor mental health

Experiencing worry, distress or other threats to good mental health can often have an impact on day to day life. 

Student Minds supports students and members of the university community to develop the knowledge, confidence and skills to look after their own mental health, support others and create change.

Mind has gathered together tips and guides to help you cope with everyday things like money, work, university and more.  It has information on some of the experiences that may impact the mental health of people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic students' mental health and how to find support.

If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Counselling Service offers confidential help to students. 



There are two ways you can tell us what happened