What support is available at University if I’ve been discriminated against?

If you think you or someone you know has been discriminated against there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  

For students and staff 

Togetherall is available 24/7 and provides a safe space to talk, share and support. It is monitored by trained professionals and contains self-assessments and resources and self-guided wellbeing courses. 

The University’s Widening Participation and Access Committee is responsible for promoting equality of opportunity in connection with access to and participation in the University of Law programmes. The Committee is tasked with ensuring that students from all backgrounds are supported to access, succeed in, and progress from University of Law programmes 

For students 
  • Your personal tutor will often be the first point of contact for practical advice or direction on academic and non-academic matters. 
  • Our Student Wellbeing Service can help in a number of ways.  A Wellbeing Advisor can offer support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. If you're not sure where to go, this is a good place to start.  They can also talk through in confidence the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, and support you through the process.  This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University. 
  • The University's Counselling Service offers confidential help to students via counsellors. 
  • Disability Support and Inclusion Service.  The University’s dedicated Disability Support and Inclusion Advisors can provide advice, guidance, and support to staff and students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies. 
  • Mitigating Circumstances.  If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened, you can consider applying for a concession. If you are absent from an exam due to unavoidable circumstances, you will need to complete a concession form relevant to your course.  Should you require a concession form please contact your campus Assessments team.  The deadline for submission is within seven calendar days of the assessment.  Supporting evidence must be submitted within 21 days from the assessment. 

For staff 

ULaw's Human Resources and Learning & Development section of the Intranet provides details on how you can get support for any employment-related issues.  The site provides access to policies and procedures as well as information on wellbeing and mental health

Trade Union. The academic cohort of the University recognise the Unite union.  ULaw consults and negotiates with union representatives on a number of terms and conditions.  There is a number of union representatives across the campuses and you can find more information here

Employee Assistance Programme.  Through the EAP provided by Care First, you have access to an expert team to providing 24-hour personal assistance.  At any time, day or night, you can talk in confidence to a qualified adviser.  Staff can find more information here


There are two ways you can tell us what happened