If you have experienced any form of sexual misconduct including sexual assault or rape, there is no right or wrong way to feel or be. What has happened is not your fault and you're not alone. Your safety and wellbeing are the most important things right now and you can access specialist support, if and whenever you feel ready. 
It’s your choice. It's completely up to you whether or not to report what's happened. No-one else can or should make that choice for you.  
  • Reporting to the police. If you're thinking of reporting to the police, rape crisis have produced a useful list of things to think about
  • Reporting the incident anonymously.  You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form.  
  • Reporting to the University - Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident, whether this has happened internally or externally, using the University’s Report and Support Service. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.  
Get Support

  • Sexual Assault Referral Centres: A Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) can offer confidential medical and practical support to people who have recently been raped or sexually assaulted. SARCs are usually provided by the NHS. Find your nearest SARC here.   
  • Rape Crisis England & Wales is a charity working to end sexual violence and abuse. You can contact our 24/7 Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Line and speak to one of our specialists – at any time of the day or night. Call free on 0808 500 2222 or go to the website to start a free online chat
  • Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs): You can find your local rape crisis centre here.  ISVAs are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. Contact them and ask to speak to an advisor in confidence. ISVAs are there to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them.  
  • SurvivorsUK provide a national online helpline, individual and group counselling for boys, men and non-binary people aged 13+ who have experienced sexual violence at any time in their lives. 
  • The Survivors Trust provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to men, women and children who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past. 
  • Galop is an LGBT+ anti-violence charity who support people who have experienced hate crime, sexual violence or domestic abuse. They also support lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people who have had problems with the police or have questions about the criminal justice system. 
University Support 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened