I think someone I know has experienced a hate crime 
If you think someone you know has experienced a hate crime there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 
Understanding the behaviours associated with hate crimes is a good place to start. Most people will usually describe what has or is happening to them and how it is making them feel.  The information in this document will help in identifying what to do and how to seek support. 
Looking after your safety 
Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 
  • You can call 101 to report non-emergency crime in the UK.  For example, if there has been prolonged bullying or a threat which does not present immediate danger.   Alternatively, you can contact your local police
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened try to find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are frightened you can call University security on (Insert contact tel[AM2]
Local guidance, safety and support:

You don’t have to deal with this alone 

  • Talk to a friend or family member. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Our Welfare Service can help.  A Welfare Advisor can talk through the University's procedures in confidence, including how to make a complaint and what support is available, and can support you through the process.  This includes checking draft reports of hate crimes and/or complaints and attending any meetings with the University. 
  • Student Minds can help, whether you are looking for support for your own mental health at university, support for a friend or loved one, or for services that might be available to you as a student. 
  • ULaw staff and students can access Togetherall.  The service has an active forum with round-the-clock support from trained professionals where you  can talk anonymously to other members and access support resources.  

  • To the University.  Students and staff can report an incident using the  University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from a Welfare Advisor. If you choose to talk to an Advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.  You can find out more about our Wellbeing and Welfare Support services on your ELITE institution page.
  • University Procedure.  If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. Visit the ULaw homepage to view all our Policies and Procedures.   
  • If you would like confidential impartial advice regarding your complaint or support on making your complaint, you can speak to a member of our Student Welfare Service.  
  • To the police.  If you want to report directly to the police you can call your local police


There are two ways you can tell us what happened