If you think you or someone you know is being sexually assaulted there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  

For students and staff 
  • Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs): You can find your local rape crisis centre here.  ISVAs are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. Contact them and ask to speak to an advisor in confidence. ISVAs are there to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them. 

For students 
University support services: 
  • If you are a student you can talk to your Personal Tutor, or a Student Wellbeing Advisor. This University service offers support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. If you're not sure where to go, this is a good place to start. This is a free confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on personal issues, including advice on procedures and representation at hearings. 
  • The University's Counselling Service offers confidential help. 
  • Assessments Team: If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for a concession. An advisor will be able to provide more information. You can find the contact details for Assessments on your campus organisation page on Elite. 

For staff 
  • Human Resource Contacts: If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you. You can find more information here.
  • Trade Union- Unison: The academic cohort of the University recognise the Unite union, meaning that we consult and negotiate with union representatives on a number of terms and conditions.  We have a number of union representatives across the campuses and you can find more information here.
  • Employee Assistance Programme: Through the EAP provided by Care first, you can rest assured you have an expert team to help you plan the highs and support you through the lows. With the EAP you have 24-hour personal assistance. At any time, day or night, you can talk in confidence to a qualified adviser. Please be aware that the EAP is for your use only (the employee). You can find more information here

Other sources of support
  •  Rape Crisis is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused.
  • The Survivors Trust provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to men, women and children who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past.
  • Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and queer people affected by sexual violence.
  • The National Stalking Helpline can give you information and advice on support and options available to you.
  • Women’s Aid provides a range of services for people experiencing domestic violence including helpline, IDVA, outreach, and refuge.
  • MALE is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened